There is only one person I know in my real life who loves reading as much as I do and thankfully, we have been together for over three and half years. He is a much faster reader than me, ( I am and will be always jealous of this magical super power of his), and we rarely read the same kinds of books. This means that we don’t often get to discuss the same type, author, books and etc, although, there are some we do get to talk about to great length. So to rectify this and to bring together something that we both love, we have set up our own little version of a book club, which simply started by chance.
What happened was, we both wanted to read Watership Down by Richard Adams. First time read for me and reread for him. Luckily we each had a copy and were going to start reading it around the same time anyways, so we thought this would be the perfect choice to start this little experiment on. As he is such a fast reader and I’m a slower reader, plus we both wanted to also carry on reading other books at the same time, so we set up our rules.
- You can only read one chapter a night. (You can do this, while reading other books, while working. One chapter isn’t a massive strain.)
- If you miss a chapter/s, then you have to catch up. (You may be too busy, ill, or some other reason why you may have missed or simply forgotten to read the chapters. But you have to catch up.)
- You can’t finish before the end date. (It’s easy to work out how many chapters there are so when the end date is going to be, you are not allowed to finish the book ahead of time before that date.)
- Discuss the chapters and what you think as you’re going along. (That’s the whole point)
- Discuss the book as a whole at the end. (Again! That’s the point)
- Take it in turns on who picks the next book. (Makes it fair and get a wide range of books and get to see what books each other likes and may widen our own choices.)
We are now on our second book Goodnight Mister Tom and I’m really enjoying doing this. There isn’t loads of pressure doing it this way to read a massive amount in a short period of time, as I simply read a chapter before bed each night and have now gotten into that routine. It’s actually a nicer way for me to relax before bed each night. We did have some problems getting into this routine, especially because he “accidently” finished reading Watership Down almost two week early because he was so into the book and was behind, so he didn’t realise he had finished until it was too late. But this is a new book and hopefully this time will be more successful.
What book should we read next? Would you like to join in this weird little book club?